Dzongri Trek (Sikkim)
Sikkim's most popular short trek to Dzongri Ridge in the Kanchenjunga National Park. Trek through virgin rhododendron forests and experience the native culture and villages of Sikkim. Climb Dzongri Top at sunrise to enjoy spectacular close up views of Mt. Kanchanjunga, Kabru, Pandim and many other snow capped peaks.
- Day 01: Fly Kathmandu/Bhadrapur, transfer to Gangtok (1547 m 160 km 6/7 hrs drive) through beautiful countryside by the Teesta and Rangeet Rivers. O/N hotel
- Day 02: At Gangtok visit Rumtek Monastery (24 km/01 hrs drive) Built by the late Gyalwa Karmapa, the head of Kargyupa (Black Head) sect, then visit Tsukla Khang Monastery and Namgyal Institute of Tibetology, Do-Drul Chorten and the old Enchey Monastery. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 03: Transfer to Yuksam (1750 m 136 km 5/6 hrs drive) the old capital town of Sikkim. Meet your trekking crew and prepare for the next days journey. Overnight at the camp.
- Day 04: Start trek after breakfast through the dense semi tropical forests occasionally crossing small mountain streams. After lunch the last two-hours to Bakhim are a steep climb (2684 m/12 km 5/6 hrs walk).
- Day 05: The trail goes through Tshoka (3005m) the last village on the route consisting of 10 to 11 Tibetan families. From here make a steep climb through the rhododendron forests till Phedang (3600m) 3/4 hrs walk 9 km O/N camp
- Day 06: Trek through rhododendron forest and if the sky is clear, magnificent views of Mt. Kanchenjunga and Mt. Pandim open up throughout the route. Overnight camp at Dzongri (4030m 6 kms 3 hrs)
- Day 07: Today the trail makes a relatively ????? approach with exceptional views of the Kanchenjunga Massif. After lunch the gradient of the hike takes a slight climb after crossing a clear mountain stream. We camp at Thangsing (3930 m/8 kms/3 hrs)
- Day 08: The trails today is walk along the Thansing Valley and moraines, camp for the night at Samiti Pokhari (4250 m 8 km 3/4 hrs)
- Day 09: After breakfast we climb up to Goechela Pass (4950 m) to get a real close up view of Kanchenjunga then descend to Samati Pokhari. After lunch retrace the trail back to Thangsing 6/7 hrs walk Camp for the night.
- Day 10: Gradual trek till Phedang and then steep down towards Tshoka 12-km 4/5-hrs walk). Camp for the night.
- Day 11: Retrace further to Yuksom at easy pace and drive to Pemayangtse (2080m) 32 km 2 hrs drive O/N hotel.
- Day 12: From Pemayangtse, transfer to Bagdogra (137-k.m 4/5-hrs) by helicopter (????) and a final cross border drive to Bhadrapur and fly to Kathmandu. (need trekkers double entry Nepal visa and Indian visa)
- Duration : 12 Days
About 7 hours walking up and down in your pace through hill and on snowline up to 5000 meters of altitude, about 10 to 15 kilometers per day for two about weeks.
- Activity : Tour
- Destination : Sikkim
- Max. Altitude : 4950m. at Goeche-la Pass
- Season : Spring and Autumn
Extension before and/or after your program: most extensive range of eco friendly treks and tours available through Nepal Sanctuary Treks & Tours. You can find treks & tours suitable for first timers, families, students on adventurous, cultural, historical, religious and pilgrimage sites, mild to tough rating from day to couple of weeks. You can extent for white water rafting, wildlife safari, tour to Tibet and Bhutan, sight-seeing, cycling, Mountain flight, Para gliding, Power gliding, Heli hike or short hike before and / or after your program.
Special interest groups: If you are looking for something completely different besides above – Business conference, School trip Incentives, Sports, research, Shooting or Volunteer teaching or working for orphanages, Cultural experience with house stay, Bungy Jump, Bird Watching, Fishing, Yoga, or herbal treatment, name it, we are able to arrange a custom designed holiday/program to suit your particular requirement.
For the truly tough, there are the month-long treks into the Everest region via Hongu valley with its splendid views of the eastern mountains as the trial leads between them up and over the Amphu Labsa , one of the most difficult passes in Nepal.